Sunday, March 10, 2024

Foie gras from safflower oil hiatus

Tucker discussed a paper in some detail here on his substack. I fell for it hook line and sinker. It's been pulling me around for weeks. How badly? I've had a copy of Gold's book The Deep Hot Biosphere since late February and I'm only on page 10.

Here's the paper:

Fat Quality Influences the Obesogenic Effect of High Fat Diets

I *think* I understand what is going on but am not quite certain enough to hit "publish" of the third version of my blog post about it. I have been back through so many layers of references that some interesting studies have come up and I think I'll write about one of these next while I continue to mull over the fatty livers. I'm not in an "ignore the blog" phase. It's just the study which has me hooked is very, very complicated and, to me, very, very unexpected. So I can't leave it alone.

More when I can.

Peter








6 comments:

cavenewt said...

Anything that's got you thinking that hard will doubtless be worth waiting for.

Tucker Goodrich said...

My apologies Peter!

But thank you for validating my transition strategy for Substack. I'm moving my blogger posts over one-by-one.

I originally published that in 2018 on Blogger, and I guess it had no impact.

https://yelling-stop.blogspot.com/2018/01/hello-can-we-have-your-liver.html

JustPeachy said...

Looking forward to it!

karl said...

@Pedro
This could explain my idea that the damage can be permanent - I'm thinking damaged fat tissue? If the damage is bad, only a life long very ketogenic diet works?


@Tucker - thanks for the re-post .. I had missed it for some reason.


I found it interesting as well - the pictures of the fat says a lot.

I find it hard to believe the push-back I get when I point out that eating lots of concentrated seed oil is not a good idea - decades of cardiologists recommending the wrong thing - hard for cardiologists to see the egg on their own face.

Correlation does not show causation, but I think we have a LOT more than correlation in the LA story.

Passthecream said...

I think I read thiis article by Tucker when he first blogged it and took it in my stride. Peter I'm a little bit surprised by your excitement about this result since I believed for a long time that there was as strong a connection between pufa and NASH as there is between ethanol and liver disease but now I need to work out how I came to think that. I think it was from multiple sources.

cavenewt said...

Tucker—I remember reading that article in 2018 thanks to the catchy title. I do appreciate you moving over to SubStack. Commenting is sooo much easier.

Pass—Like you, I already had an idea that polyunsaturated fat in large quantities aren't a good idea, possibly vaguely gathered from years of reading Hyperlipid. But Tucker's work really nailed it down for me.

karl—I'm finding that regular civilians are surprisingly receptive to the anti-seed-oil idea. Medical people, of course, aren't, but I tend not to listen to them anyway.