Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Back home

Got to paddle on Easter Sunday as soon as the wind dropped, four foot and clean. I kept most of the wet snow out of my dry suit, and the sun even came out when the snow stopped.

About the only Hyperlipidy aspect was that there doesn't appear to be a fall off in endurance ability with lack of practice. Paddled for about two and a half hours and could have carried on but the surf was dropping with the rising tide. The reflexes and muscles still work after what must be two years off of the surf...

What do you do with five days off line? Well, Nick Lane's "Power, Sex, Suicide" has been a very interesting read. Well over half way through it and it makes a great deal of sense.

Lots of catching up to do!

Peter

11 comments:

.^ said...

Welcome back from the horrible real world where you can only surf for a couple of hours, to the wonderful virtual world where you can surf all day ....

Peter said...

But no adrenaline surge here.........

Peter

.^ said...

By the way, I found an interesting video of a panel discussion featuring Roy Walford, whom I've seen you talking about - and Art De Vany, who seems to be a fixture in the low-carb constellation. It's a 64MB RealPlayer file, if you can handle that, and the subject is Life Extension: Closer to Truth.

Disappointing conclusion though (be sensible, eat whole grains, yadda yadda ...)

Peter said...

Chainey,

That looks like an interesting discussion, I can't get the real player file to load. Any hints? I've got Realplayer 10 for Mac OS X and I've tried accessing with Safari or Firefox. No joy

Ta

Peter

.^ said...

All the video formats are a pain. I use an add-on to Firefox called Download Helper which you can get here. I don't know if it works for Mac.

Then I use a free multi-format player called VLC Video Player, which allows me to avoid installing RealPlayer, Quicktime, etc.

It's a bit of setup I suppose, but it does make life easier in the long run.

paul said...

Seconded about VLC - when others fail, it seems to come through (and it works fine for me on a Mac)...

Paul.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Thanks Chainey. I read a transcript of this discussion with Walford and De Vany. My favorite lines was when the host, Robert Lawrence Kuhn PhD, told Art De Vany "You're just lucky because you picked good parents."

Here's a transcript for those who have trouble with the video.

.^ said...

Interestingly the transcript has some dialog cut from the video.

Unknown said...

Nick Lane also wrote an earlier book entitled, Oxygen, which is complementary to Power, Sex, Suicide. I would recommend it also.
Porter

Peter said...

Hee hee, I though you might. No more books allowed on the pile until it shrinks a bit (not finished PSS yet!)

Thanks

Peter