Thursday, March 13, 2008

Food; steak and kidney casserole

My wife has already sorted tomorrow night's supper as I'm working a late shift and neither of us will get time to cook on the day. I'd pulled two containers of steak and kidney mix from the freezer earlier. She put a can of tomatoes in a casserole, put in the meat and kidneys, followed by a couple of small chopped onions, a chopped orange pepper and a small parsnip. Salt, pepper and a bouquet garni. Splash of red wine of course. Oh and butter. Lean meat equals lots of butter, add whatever you feel like. If it seems a bit random that's because it's made up of pretty well what was left in the fridge....

Oh, bring it to the boil, simmer for a couple of hours then take the lid off to let it reduce down to a thick stew. Stir occasionally.

Looking forward to my portion when I get home at 10 tomorrow night. Smells great already.

Peter

PS a day at work usually means nothing but cream and chocolate through the day. Might get my eggs before I go if I'm organised... It always seems to me that these are pretty ordinary meals, just no huge amount of added carbs when served and usually no carbs for the rest of the day. That's just how it seems to work out most days.

1 comment:

Tracy said...

This sounds delicious! I'm hitting the farmer's market later this week, and I think I'll call my usual meat farmer and see about getting some kidney. My mum used to make steak and kidney pie or stew when I was little - haven't had it in decades. (Yes, she's English - made great liver too!)